[Geysers] Geyser Report June 15 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 16 05:45:49 PDT 2006

THIS MESSAGE IS INTENDED FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS
LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE.

Great Fountain had 7 full bursts in the 8:02 eruption on June 15, which
resulted in an interval of 16h29minutes.  I've seen about 35 starts and not
one superburst this season.

I will not be observing Great Fountain for the next few days while I
concentrate on some other projects.

I have seen no eruptive activity from Gemini, but haven't sat at White Dome
for any length of time (other than what turned out to be the 2 hour 54
minute interval) to see if Gemini is erupting.  Whenever I have driven by
it, it has been full and quiet, or the "evil" vent has been bubbling away,
sometimes up to 6-8 inches in height.

Naturally, I get a lot of questions about White Dome from people at Great
Fountain.  It's amazing how people are so much more impressed by that large
pile or rocks instead of Great Fountain's pool and terraces.  Analysis of
107 closed intervals through June 14--
    mean        34 minutes
    median      30 minutes
   maximum    2h54m (I know I did not miss an eruption because I had moved
down there after Great Fountain and waited until White Dome finally erupted)
    maximum    12 minutes

    These calculations ignore "minor" eruptions from White Dome, which are
infrequent but do occur.  These act like aborted eruptions where water comes
up visible in the opening of the tube and may even splash 2-3 feet above the
top of the vent for 5 seconds, but then dies.

Distribution of the intervals:

Minutes                     Percentage
<20		23.4%
20 - 29		28.2%
30 - 39		18.8%
40 - 49		8.2%
50 - 59		11.8%
60 - 69		1.2%
70 - 79		3.5%
>79	(1:37, 2:54)	2.4%

Other geyser news:
    Beehive:  6/15 MaryBeth and Barry went out to West to look at their new
property, Steve Robinson was at Giant, and I was in the office typing when
someone in the VC asked, "Can anyone verify that Beehive erupted?  We have
some visitors saying a ranger told them that the geyser that erupted behind
Old Faithful was Beehive."  Subsequent investigations by the interpretive
rangers revealed several visitor reports that Beehive erupted.  Beehive is
written in the logbook at 14:19.

   Giant:  Still having hot periods.  I listened to Steve report one at
15:33 lasting 8 minutes 32 seconds.  His report was broken but it didn't
sound like Mastiff did any wide, steady surging.

   Grand:  Steve reported a Grand eruption at 12:28 as a G3Q.  I think
that's the first three burst eruption reported this season.

Weather report:  Wave after wave after wave of rain, hail, and sleet again
on Friday.

Animal report:  As I was leaving yesterday morning about 7:30 there was a
deer grazing in the Myriad Group near the intersection between the outbound
road and the road from Lower Hams.  Because deer are relatively rare here, I
stopped to make certain I was seeing a deer.  She lifted her head, glanced
at me, and then casually went back to grazing.  The deer that had bounded
out of the trees from the north side of the road on the corner just before
the road curves to go past Firehole Lake the other night was much less
casual.  I was glad she went running quickly across the road because I don't
think my insurance agent wants to pay for another repair of this pickup due
to me hitting an animal at night in Yellowstone.

Visitor question of the day:  Yesterday morning I used the Park Service
radio to call in the 1/2 hour prediction of 8:15 plus/minus 15 minutes.
Some visitors had stopped in the VC about 8:20 and were told if they hurried
they might get to see the eruption.  They understood that the prediction was
plus/minus an hour instead of plus/minus 15 minutes.  They missed the first
two or three bursts of the seven burst eruption.  Although they may have
asked some other questions, the only one I can remember is "We hurried to
get down here.  Where's the nearest coffee?"

Lynn Stephens