[Geysers] Geyser Report June 13 (Stephens)

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 13 15:52:10 PDT 2006

I don't have anything as exciting as Giant video or Ledge or Norris
disturbance--so I'll just do some "facts" on Great Fountain for today's
report.

Since the road opened on May 26, I've oberved 27 closed intervals ranging
from a minimum of 10h11m to a maximum of 18h26m with a median of 12h15m and
a mean of 12h32m.  I've recorded 21 overflow lengths ranging from a minimum
of 72 minutes to a maximum of 102 minutes with a median of 81 minutes and a
mean of 83 minutes.  To get the "half hour" prediction I'm generally using
70 to 100 minutes, but adjusting so the prediction is to the nearest "5" or
"0" minutes.  I've generally been having good results adjusting the midpoint
of the 4 hour prediction window based on the number and strength of the
bursts.
     No fourth or very weak fourth with long pause between third and fourth
--10 1/2 hours
     Strong fourth with no fifth -- 11 hours
     Strong fourth with medium fifth -- 12 1/4 hours
     Fifth with no sixth or weak sixth -- 13 hours
     Six with no energy expended in the seventh -- 14 hours.
     Six with weak seventh -- 15 hours.

People have asked how to determine the end of the eruption--It's subjective
but I've been using the definition that others studying Great Fountain had
used before me--the end of the last burst that throws water out of the
crater.  A regression of duration against following interval doesn't work
quite as well as the subjective rule of thumb given above.  For example, two
eruptions may have the same duration but if one had longer than average
pauses between, for example, the third and fourth bursts and the individual
bursts in the fourth are separated by many seconds and the bursts don't
throw out much water, then that eruption will result in a shorter subsequent
duration.

If we don't know the duration, then we are using 12 1/4 hours as the
midpoint of the four hour prediction because the median has been staying at
12 hours 15 minutes.

I've been asked whether a false overflow has any impact on the length of the
subsequent "true" overflow.  I don't believe so.  I don't have a large
sample size to quote in this email--just the three observations from this
year, but I believe they are representative of prior years' observations. In
one case this summer a false overflow was succeeded by a subsequent "true"
overflow of 78 minutes (just slightly shorter than the "average" overflow),
in another case the false overflow was succeeded by a subsequent
"true"overflow of 85 minutes (just slightly longer than the "average"
overflow), and in the third case, the false overflow was succeeded by a
subsequent "true" overflow of 102 minutes (the longest "true" overflow of
the season to date).

Weather report:  Warm and sunny.  I left the trailer this morning at 6:30 am
carrying my sweatshirt and sweatpants to put them into hte pickup in case I
need them tonight.

Visitor comment(s) of the day.  Greaqt Fountain was having a beautiful
sunlit eruption that started at 10:29 this morning with almost no clouds in
the intensely blue sky as a background. There wasn't much steam because the
temperature was already in the mid to upper 60's.  There was just enough of
a light breeze to blow the steam toward the northeast--in other words,
superb viewing conditions from the boardwalk.  A father was leading his
young son back toward the parking lot about 4 mnutes into the first burst.
In the other hand the father was carrying a video camera.  The boy looked to
about 6-8 years old.  As they passed me, I could hear the boy say, "But I
want to see more of this."  The father's reply:  "We'll watch it when we get
home."

Animal tidbits:  As I was driving from Firehole Lake toward the main road,
there were four white pelicans performing their aerial ballets in the sky
above Fountain Paintpots.  I'm always surprised to see the black tips on the
underside of their outstretched wings, which make the twists and turns and
loops and circles in their flight patterns easily distinguishable.

I was talking with some visitors at Great Fountain this morning.  They are
camped at Mammoth, close to two college age girls from an Ivy league
institution who were camped with a dome tent.  This morning the woman was up
early to use the facilities and noticed a cow elk approaching the dome tent.
  At first the cow elk sniffed around it for awhile.  Then she started
rubbing her nose on the tent.  And then she started chomping on the tent.
At some point the two girls woke up.  One of them was apparently VERY afraid
of bears.  So one girl was hitting at the tent wall while the other girl was
screaming "No, don't, you might antagonize it."  The woman watching the
scene yelled over that it was "only" an elk, not a bear, so it was OK to try
to scare it off, or, if they wanted, it was OK to come on out of the tent
since the elk probably wasn't going to eat on them.

Lynn Stephens