[Geysers] Giant Activity, June 3-5

Tara Cross fanandmortar at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 16:09:10 PDT 2006

I have broken my report on the June 6 Giant eruption into two parts.  This report covers activity in the Grotto/Giant area from June 3-5.

June 3

Grotto marathon quit sometime between 0800-0900

1350 Giant hot period, d=4m41s.  Mastiff to 3 feet max, India 50% covered.
1630 Giant hot period, d=5m20s.

June 4

0912 Giant hot period, d~2m30s.
1030 Bathtub
1121 Grotto Fountain
1124 Grotto
1130 Bathtub
1223 Giant hot period, d=7m20s.  Mastiff 3 feet max.
1302 Rocket major
1447 Giant hot period, d~2m45s.
1621 Giant hot period, d=4m35s.
1732 Grotto Fountain
1734 Grotto (off at 1922)
1817 Giant hot period, d=5m10s.
1944ie Giant hot period, d>2m.

Based on information from the Strassers about Giant's recovery from the May 31 eruption, the 1223 hot period was the first to pass the point when Mastiff is flat about 4-5 minutes into the hot period; in all previous hot periods, Mastiff had dropped without continuing to surge.  The surging after that point was pretty strong, even though it never surpassed 3 feet high--there was a lot of energy expended in the last 3 minutes of the hot period.  For whatever it's worth, the vent in front of Bijou was active right at the end of the hot period--I personally had not seen it yet this year.

June 5

0555ie Grotto
0658ie Rocket major
0726 Giant hot period, d=8m45s.  Mastiff at least 3 feet, India 75% covered.
0920 Bathtub

Based on evidence in the Grotto area and the Rocket major, I estimated the start of Grotto at around 0530.  The 0726 hot period was pretty strong.  It was too steamy to know for sure how high Mastiff was surging but it reached at least 3 feet several times and late in the hot period it was putting out a lot of discharge.

My next report will include full details on the Giant eruption.

--Tara Cross
fanandmortar at hotmail.com