[Geysers] Geyser report June 9 Stephens

Lynn Stephens lstephens2006 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 9 14:10:39 PDT 2006

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND IS
NOT TO BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER PURPOSE.

Mary Beth, Pat and Warren Hoppe, and Kitt and the boys are due in today so
the radio traffic will start to pick up.

It's rainy and cool today.  Great Fountain was nice and had a long eruption
yesterday afternoon, which meant I didn't have to get out there until after
dawn this morning.  It had another long eruption this morning, which will
put it near 9 pm this evening.  By long eruption, I mean that both eruptions
had 6 full, strong bursts, which have been resulting in just over 14 hour
intervals this season.

I didn't quite pull one of Scott's drive-ups on Labial this morning, but I
waited less than 15 minutes for Labial at 09:05, a double interval of 13h29m
or average of 6h45m.

A Till major at 09:58 was a double interval of 20h25m, or 10h12m average.

Pink Cone was at 13:05, a quadruple interval of 79h51 minutes (I had ies on
2 of the three intervening eruptions) or an average of 19h58minutes.

I wasn't here, but the logbook shows Beehive at 10:41 this morning.
Yesterday morning there was a report of Beehive at 6:35.

As I was headed out this morning, there was a large steam cloud at the north
end of the basin, so I hopped on the bike, but it was just Grotto 0457ie.  I
did see a Giant hot period 0512ie, duration at least 4 minutes.  I didn't
see any surging from Mastiff.

Grand was at 05:04 as I was biking down the trail--a 13-minute 2Q.

I saw my first elk calf of the season Tuesday in the meadow around White
Pyramid.

Miscellaneous Geysers:
     Yes, Jet is having 2-3 minute intervals during Fountain's eruption.
     You all know how much I diskllike Morning's Thief so it really pains me
to admit it, but Morning's Thief is having some impressive 25-35 foot
eruptions.  The eruptions are quite noisy and are scouring out the basin
around Morning's Thief, sometimes sending runoff down the channel near Twig.
     Mike Keller posted a few weeks ago that Morning had not had "isolated"
activity except the July 4 and 5, 1991, dual eruptions with Fountain.  I've
been meaning to post some other examples of "isolated" activity--for
example, the 1983 "activity" consisted of one eruption on February 23 with a
note in the logbook in Rick Hutchinson's handwriting that it was "earthquake
induced".  The activity on May 5-6, 1991 also lasted only a few days at
most.  Marler cites instances of apparently isolated activity in the
Inventory.

Lynn Stephens