[Geysers] Thanks to geyser people last week...

Whitledge, Vicki M. WHITLEVM at uwec.edu
Wed Jul 26 16:30:52 PDT 2006

I have had similar experiences to BOTH Bruce and the anonymous letter sender.  I have met some truly wonderful people.  I enjoyed meeting them (and look forward to meeting more!) and enjoy hearing when others also have good experiences.

Unfortunately, I have also met some people who were very rude and have seen them behave as implied in the letter, either to myself or to others.  I have also met some people who were rude until they realized that someone they knew was treating me just fine.  They were then quite friendly, so there is some "selective" rudeness but I've also seen some "equal opportunity" rudeness.

I think that it is VERY unfair of the letter writer to say that "Those members of GOSA that spend their entire summer in the park, as employees and visitors, are just plain rude."  I absolutely cannot agree with such a blanket statement.  Lumping everyone together like that is as bad as the people who are rude to those that they don't know.  Some people are nice and friendly, some people are not, and some people are usually nice but have a bad day (or even a couple of hours) now and then.

It would be nice if more people chose to act like those that Bruce encountered and fewer chose to act like those that the anonymous letter writer encountered.

Vicki Whitledge

Udo Freund wrote:

It's always wonderful to hear the positive take on things.  Thank you, Bruce.

Coincidentally, this week GOSA Store and Press received an anonymous letter postmarked in Salt Lake City that said much the opposite.  Since I did not want to edit or retype it in its entirety, I attached it as a .jpg image.

While I (and apparently Bruce) disagree with many aspects of this view, I thought I'd pass it along for you to judge and comment upon.

Udo

Bruce Jensen wrote:

	As a long-time geyser enthusiast who is still pretty wet-behind-the-ears,
	I must say that I truly appreciated the opportunity to meet several
	experienced geyser people last week in the UGB (especially July 16 to 19),
	and I greatly value the wisdom and friendship they demonstrated.  My own
	time in the basins has been unfortunately brief over the years, and the
	help and knowledge that all of you folks imparted was a great help to my
	family and me during our most recent visit.  I tend to be quite shy
	myself, and having folks who are open and friendly also makes for a
	comforting experience.

	I still haven't managed to see a Giant, but thanks to the help of others
	I was able to experience Penta Geyser this time around, and one generous
	fellow gave my son and I a nice crash course in what constitutes a Giant
	Hot Period...as I read the reports that come in, I will now be able to
	picture what is actually happening in the moments before Giant plays.
	Another gave us some concept about the theoretical relationship between
	Little Squirt and Beehive's behavior.  All great stuff.  Finally, thanks
	to the announcements over the radio about times and events, the process of
	hotfooting it all over the basin was much more rewarding than in the past
	when we were radio-silent.

	I am reluctant to mention any names lest I get them wrong or leave someone
	out, but those of you who recognize my name, please be aware that the time
	you spent talking and explaining was a great help to us.  Thank you!

	Bruce Jensen