[Geysers] Geyser names

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 19:29:12 PDT 2006

In a message dated 7/19/2006 6:22:06 PM Mountain Standard Time,
udo.freund at lmco.com writes:

Could we agree that NTFL  become "Football Geyser".  It's easy to drop the T
from NTFL, which  then becomes NFL -- the acronym for the National Football
League, or more  simply Football.

And why do we need to name the  Biscuit Basin feature after a mineral?  Not
that I object to that -- I'm  just asking.

One thing that people must remember is "priority." Per Lee Whittlesey and
others, as part of a long query I sent about a year (or more) ago, NTFL is now
the accepted name for that geyser, because NTFL as a name has appeared  in
what amount to (or fully are) official reports. Sorry. It is NTFL. (In fact,  it
isn't even NTFL Geyser, just NTFL!) Now, if people want to go through some
sort of rigamarole to get this changed to something else, then go for it.

And "Football" would be, in my humble opinion, ridiculously stupid. I would
have no objection to a telescope or periscope or whatever, but... maybe
reserve  those for the future.