[Geysers] Biscuit Basin names

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Mon Jul 17 07:33:25 PDT 2006

I support Scott's idea of using Black Diamond Pool. I believe that we
should use historic names when possible, rather than creating new ones. And
that was its earlier name.

Lee

                      TSBryan at aol.com
                      Sent by:                 To:       geysers at wwc.edu
                      geysers-bounces at w        cc:       (bcc: Lee Whittlesey/YELL/NPS)
                      wc.edu                   Subject:  [Geysers] Biscuit Basin names

                      07/15/2006 08:33
                      PM EDT
                      Please respond to
                      geyser
                      observation
                      reports

Yesterday I suggested that names were needed for the eruptive vent between
Wall Pool and Black Opal Pool and for the new thing near the river.

1. Upon reading Paperiello's paper about Wall and Black Opal (GOSA
Transactions, Vol. VI), it is abundantly clear that the vent that erupted
on Thursday evening, that is the easternmost part of Wall, was separately
referred to as Black Diamond Pool during the 1930s. I would humbly suggest
that that name be used now.

2. As for the new thing on downstream near the river, people today
suggested "Ivory and Ebony," in reference to the one vent spouting clear
water and the other being dark in color. Of course, that cannot work, given
Ivory at Heart Lake and Ebony at Norris. And maybe it is too soon for a
name, anyway. However, in keeping with all the gems and semiprecious stones
at Biscuit Basin (Silver Globe, Shell, Jewel, Sapphire, Black Pearl, Coral,
Black Diamond, and Black Opal), a similar name might be in keeping with
tradition. I keep trying to think of the name for a rock that is both black
and white, but banded onyx is all I can come up with....

Geysers mailing list
Geysers at wwc.edu