[Geysers] Biscuit Basin names

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Jul 15 17:33:16 PDT 2006

Yesterday I suggested that names were needed for the eruptive vent between
Wall Pool and Black Opal Pool and for the new thing near the river.

1. Upon reading Paperiello's paper about Wall and Black Opal (GOSA
Transactions, Vol. VI), it is abundantly clear that the vent that erupted on  Thursday
evening, that is the easternmost part of Wall, was separately referred  to as
Black Diamond Pool during the 1930s. I would humbly suggest that that name  be
used now.

2. As for the new thing on downstream near the river, people today  suggested
"Ivory and Ebony," in reference to the one vent spouting clear water  and the
other being dark in color. Of course, that cannot work, given Ivory at  Heart
Lake and Ebony at Norris. And maybe it is too soon for a name, anyway.
However, in keeping with all the gems and semiprecious stones at Biscuit Basin
(Silver Globe, Shell, Jewel, Sapphire, Black Pearl, Coral, Black Diamond, and
Black Opal), a similar name might be in keeping with tradition. I keep trying to
 think of the name for a rock that is both black and white, but banded onyx
is  all I can come up with....