[Geysers] Boulder Spring and Artemesia

Karen Webb caros at aros.net
Mon Jul 10 20:32:34 PDT 2006

Just two thoughts for people who might have the time to spend with a
short research project:
    1) Boulder Spring (S-SW of Ojo Caliente), described variously as
being a perpetual spouter and as having a second vent that exhibits
periodic behavior, might be worth a look.  The day we did the River
Group area, it was definitely putting up an eruptive (ie, pulsatile)
steam could; by the time we got to it, everything had ceased except for
a small bit of post-eruptive steam.  Observed from the Fountain
overlook, the cloud was definitely not the consistent one of a typical
perpetual spouter but definitely waxed and waned.  I'd like to spend
some time out there when we return in August, but in the meantime it
might make a nice little article for Sput or the upcoming Transactions.
    2) I guess all the Artemesia watchers are aware that Artemesia is
kind of a mess to try and catch this year.  Had two observations on
this.  One is, to look at the data logger data Ralph has posted on the
GOSA site, there seems to be a definite cyclicity to the intervals, at
least in the last few months (meaning if you look at the graph, instead
of the eruptions being completely random, they tend to be long interval
followed by one or two intervals somewhere around the
mean/median/distributive norm, then a short interval, followed by one or
two around the "central tendency" figure followed by a long.  I wondered
if someone who's sharper with statistics than I could make something of
this?  Two, I've noticed that when Artemesia's intervals are longer or
goofier, nearby Pinto and Calthos are higher and (at least in Pinto's
case) hotter, while the reverse has seemed to be true in years that
Artemesia's intervals have been shorter.  (Definite informal observation
by an Artemesia-o-phile!)  I thought I remembered a project Cathy Nist
undertook where she tossed a substance (I'm thinking an isotope of
strontium or iodine?) into Splended to see how long it would take to
appear in Daisy.  I imagine this would take a whole lot of paperwork if
permission could even be obtained, but I've wondered if work could be
done on the possible underground connections amongst the three
features.  (Also curious if anyone else has noticed this tendency or if
the fact that I noticed it just meant I got too bored waiting for
Artemesia...)
    Isn't anybody going to post info about that Giant eruption on the
3rd?  Thomas Barger and David Monteith invested a whole bunch of hours
watching the Grotto group that morning and afternoon (based on Grotto
Fountain looking like it would start...and looking...and looking...)
GF's eventual start led Grotto by less than a minute (so, not a great
GF), but the Grotto was (I was told) the first non-marathon since Giant
had last erupted on 6/17.  Kitt saw some behavior out of the Giant group
(like Mastiff leading the actual start of a hot period) that made her
tell me "You'll be back!" when I headed off to Grand.  Two thunderstorms
were kind enough to split and go around the Upper Basin, one in each
direction, and of course the eventual Giant eruption and the hot period
leading into it got Tara's inimitable, enthusiastic commentary.  Please
could some of you guys give details?
Karen

--
Step out of Thy holy chamber, O Maid of Heaven... Drape thyself...in the silken
Vesture of Immortality, and put on, in the name of  the All-Glorious, the broidered