[Geysers] Heat Traps

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Jul 10 18:47:19 PDT 2006

It has been documented in Yellowstone that certain hot springs will erupt when
a large animal falls into them and gets cooked.  Scalloped Spring is the best
example of this, but I have heard that it happened at Solitary Geyser (in that
case increasing the power of the eruptions above normal) and at other springs.

Perhaps the fat from the boiled animal forms a layer on top of the water and
holds the heat in, allowing eruptions to occur.

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu

>When soap was introduced, the vent above the water surface quickly filled
with a mass of soap-suds, and thus it remained, with occasional upward surges
of suds, for the twenty minutes.  In my opinion the suds formed an "insulating
layer" above the water surface, reducing the churning and preventing the
previously steadily boiling water from releasing the steam directly into the
atmosphere, and thus trapping the heat within the suds and the water below.
The reduced churning would allow temperatures to rise gradually in the top of
the water column within the vent.  Eventually water would reach boiling
temperature at lower depths in the column, and when sufficiently vigorous
boiling resulted there, projecting water out, pressures further down still
would momentarily reduce, and the runaway eruption would be initiated.  So,
Wairoa, I think, is an example of heat-trap triggering.  (It is an interesting
fact that when it was