[Geysers] Geyser book review

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon Jan 30 14:50:05 PST 2006

I just gotta share this -- I suppose librarians and book dealers are
familiar with KLIATT, a book review publication. I'd never heard of KLIATT, but  the
following appears in the January 2006 issue, page 36, regarding "Geysers:
What They Are and How They Work".

"A beauty of a geology text, Bryan's work vibrates with color and action.
For the curious young reader, the work is organized around predictable questions
 about what causes a geyser, why it erupts, how old it is, what dangers it
poses, and where geysers are active around the globe. Meticulous, highly
readable coverage explains the difference between hot springs and geysers and
details the types of biota that survive in superheated water and give it color.
Sketches of earth strata illustrate how superheated water and steam penetrate
pores in volcanic rock and bubble up through sedimentary rock and the earth's
crust. Back matter coveres the number of active and extinct geysers in each
country, a description of shapes and eruptions, and includes a map pinpointing
 locations. a two-page glossary explains cone shapes, the creation of magma,
the  smell of hydrogen sulfide, and the source of mud pots and pull-apart
zones.  Indexing and the bibliography offer guidance to the researcher seeking
more  detailed studies. Overall, a wonder of a reference work at a small price."

An asterisk next to the bibliographic citation indicates an "exceptional
book."

Thank you for your time.

Scott Bryan
(Aged author)