[Geysers] Orakei Korako reference?

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Mon Jan 16 19:03:37 PST 2006

Undoubtedly the best published reference on Orakeikorako is Ted
Lloyd's  bulletin.  It is "Geology and Hot Springs of Orakeikorako"
NZ Geological Survey Bulletin 85, 1972.  Leonie Pipe was looking at
the detailed map of hot springs on Artist's Palette yesterday in some
work on the statistics of New Zealand geothermal system features and
noticed that while Ted's yard grid is accurate he has made a mistake
with his metric scale (page 84).  There is no map of the Sapphire
Geyser area, but Ted does have an annotated photograph of it on page
74.  Note that the original form of the name of the thermal area is
Orakeikorako.  Ted, Ashley, Katherine and I have recently debated
this and came to the conclusion that it would be preferable to use
this as the standard form rather than the split name Orakei Korako
which was probably introduced in about 1938 when a company opened the
area to regular tourist traffic.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam