[Geysers] Geyser Report 1-06-06

Freund, Udo udo.freund at lmco.com
Thu Jan 12 12:47:58 PST 2006

Perhaps in my haste to write something quickly on my break at work I did
not elaborate sufficiently.  I did not say it was hard to imagine
something different erupting out there.  I believe people when they say
something unusual happened.  But we have conflicting reports of the
specifics.  First, a report of a Morning erupting to 80 to 100 feet
(which is about the height of an 8 to 10 story building) during an
eruption of Fountain.  A second report, which attempted to verify this,
said there was a lack of evidence that Morning had erupted.  Snow wasn't
melted in Morning's runoff channels as would be expected, which
therefore contradicted the first report.  I was speculating to attempt
to resolve the conflict.

Is it possible for an 80 to 100 foot eruption of Morning to leave no
change in the surrounding snow?  Virtually impossible was one opinion
with which I agree.  Could Morning's Thief have erupted to 100'?
Certainly, but would such a large eruption (a new record height) also
leave no evidence such as snowmelt from runoff?  I guess anything's
possible, but I have doubts.  Leaving the surrounding snow unchanged
might imply that it erupts this way more often but without witnesses!
Not impossible either.  It is more likely that the height of an MT
eruption may have been exaggerated.  Many previous eruption heights have
been misjudged, even by experienced gazers.  You may recall a study that
was done at Grand many years ago involving people's guesses versus
calculations from inclinometer readings.  Discounting the height, not
the eruption itself, better resolves this conflict, at least in my mind.
I welcome other opinions and anything that would further help clarify
this.

Lastly, the reason we revisit YNP is precisely to see the unusual, as
well as the usual, thrilling events.  Sadly, I've missed major eruptions
of the three you mentioned.  But I have seen Morning and Fountain erupt
together (5 July 1991).  It is one of my fondest memories.

Thanks,
Udo Freund

  _____