[Geysers] Earthquakes near OF

Graham Meech meechg at verizon.net
Thu Feb 23 16:46:22 PST 2006

Looking at the University of Utah site I see there have been 28 small
earthquakes about 8 miles from Old Faithful between 2323 on 2/21 and 1500 on
2/22 ranging from magnitude 0.2 to 2.0.

http://www.seis.utah.edu/req2webdir/recenteqs/Maps/Yellowstone.html

The ones stronger than magnitude 1 also show up well on the OF seismogram
(although it goes rather wild later on the 22nd):

http://www.seis.utah.edu/helicorder/heli/yellowstone/Uuss.YFT_SHZ_WY.2006022
100.gif

http://www.seis.utah.edu/helicorder/heli/yellowstone/Uuss.YFT_SHZ_WY.2006022
200.gif

I wonder if there are any geyser changes?  Are these earthquakes too small
to cause any changes even though they are close by?

Maybe the OF webcam stopping and restarting is related to this too.  I am
glad to see that OF is still active.

Graham Meech

p.s. I have a new email address now too - meechg at verizon.net