[Geysers] Two 1974 Photos

Pat Snyder riozafiro at comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 05:19:09 PST 2006

It's amazing what you find when you're going through old boxes prior
to moving into a new abode.

Apparently, in the '70s, I was a budding Geyser Gazer! (I made my
first Yellowstone visit with the intention to gaze in spring 2001). A
few weeks ago, while sorting things in the basement, I found a 1974
photo album with pictures of Glacier, the Canadian Rockies and Grand
Tetons, but most of the photos were of Yellowstone, and,
specifically, geysers. And here I thought my recent trips were the
first time I saw Pink Cone and Grand geysers...well, I lied. There
they are, in full eruption, in my photo album (along with Great
Fountain, Old Faithful and Sawmill); I just don't remember seeing
them! Unfortunate...

But the real surprise were the two photos I am attaching to this
email. I recognized Ledge instantly, from Scott's book, and
remembered him writing that 1974 was a very good Ledge year. Looking
closely at the photo, I also see a tiny corner of Africa erupting
behind Ledge, and down the boardwalk, it looks like another geyser is
erupting as well.

And one other geyser in the album needed help for identification--I
happened to visit Tara Cross and Dave Monteith last weekend, and the
look on Tara's face was precious as soon as she saw it, since Fan
Geyser is in the background--it's Spiteful! (I guess I haven't spent
enough time watching the rock pile to recognize the area in an old
photo.) Imagine my surprise at having seen that rare performer in my
youth!

These photos were scanned on a Canon scanner, then helped along with
Photoshop, the originals are a faded blue and they are on some kind
of old textured matte paper. The negatives must be somewhere in my
basement and I hope to find those someday since I think I could get a
better print by scanning the negatives rather than the prints.
Specifically, the photos were taken the second week in August, 1974,
though I don't know what days that week.

Anyway, another winter diversion. Enjoy!
Thanks.
Pat S.