[Geysers] Grotto's cone

jacross jacross at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Feb 20 20:59:47 PST 2006

I was looking at a photograph of Grotto's cone today, and it occurred to me
that Grotto is about the only geyser I can think of where the main mass of the
cone is penetrated by large hollow spaces.  The inner parts of the cone seem
to have eroded out at some point, possibly following a long dormancy.  Rocket
has a few thinner arches.  Also, Grotto's cone is really a half-cone, or a
2/3s cone--it doesn't completely encircle the vent.  The only other cone I can
think of where this kind of thing is happening is Union, where the large
(unnaturally caused) hole on the east side is expanding slowly, eroding softer
material out from under a harder shell.

How could this happen?  A long dormancy in Grotto's past?  Perhaps that's when
the tree grew in front of the vent?

Jeff Cross
jacross at lamar.colostate.edu