[Geysers] "Grand Geyser Basin" (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Mon Feb 20 12:42:05 PST 2006

After submitting my request for help on information about "Grand Geyser Basin" to the listserv last night/early this morning, I went to Lee's entry for "Upper Geyser Basin" in Wonderland Nomenclature, where I discovered the following:

"One of the Park's major geyser basins which was also variously referred to in early days as 'Grand Geyser Basin', 'Firehole Geyser Basin', 'Great Geyser Basin', and 'Upper Firehole Geyser Basin."

Now my "I got's to know syndrome" is gone into overdrive.  Not only do I want to learn who used the phrase "Grand Geyser Basin", but I also am interested in learning who used the other three early names as well.

(Just when it seems like I'm in the process of tracking down one piece of information to fill in gaps in my knowledge, the avenue I'm pursuing exposes even more gaps in my knowledge.  Oh well.)

Thanks again for any help.

Lynn