[Geysers] Third Geyser Basin

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sun Feb 19 19:00:37 PST 2006

In a message dated 2/19/2006 5:04:49 PM Pacific Standard Time,
rlpowell at indiana.edu writes:

A. C. Peale in the 5th Annual Report of  Progress of the U. S. Geological
Survey of Montana and Portions of Adjacent  Territories (1872, p. 183) indicates
a "third group" in the Lower Geyser  Basin that clearly includes the Firehole
Lake or Black Warrior Group of modern  usage.
    Contrarily, in the 12th Annual  Report,  Peale (1883, p. 147) refers to
the "Third or Fountain Group",  and is shown as the Fountain Group on the
accompanying map by J. E. Mushbach  (notes) and Henry Gannett (plotter) dated 1878
(the year of the third  Hayden Sursvey).

Well, I didn't know most of the above, however I asked about the Third
Geyser Basin, not some "third group." Since there have been only a couple of
comments...

The Third Geyser Basin is that which contains Lone Star Geyser. Third  Geyser
Basin is, per Whittlesey, _THE_ official name, and any use of "Lone Star
Geyser Basin" is, well, wrong. So I'll contend that the largest geyser there is
Lone Star Geyser. (Quibbles not accepted.)