[Geysers] Colour changes and colour effects in thermal features

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Dec 14 18:04:00 PST 2006

In answer to Janet's request:

The experiment was not successful in showing a connection.  It so
happened that a unique opportunity presented itself, and we took the
chance to carry out the experiment - if it had worked, then we would
have proved something, if it did not (and there were numerous reasons
why the chances of success would be marginal) then it simply meant
that something a little more sophisticated would need to be tried.

Actually we already had proof that there is some sort of fluid
connection between Inferno Crater Lake
and Frying Pan Lake because the outflows/level movements in the two
lakelets work in antiphase.

We were defeated with the dye experiment partly because the precise
location and depth of the main vent of Inferno Crater were not nearly
so precisely known as they are now, and our dye input occurred too
far away from it - We were trying to get the dye to go down with the
massive downflow of water that followed the cessation of the main
discharge stage.  If we had been able to locate the dye injection
site right into the main vent then Inferno Crater Lake itself would
have become only slightly discoloured, but instead the whole lakelet
turned an amazingly intense red.  Later we were able to conduct some
laboratory experiments on the temperatures at which Rhodamine B
became degraded, and it seems that even had we been able to get the
dye taken down into the vent the temperature in the supposed aquifer
joining the two lakes was likely to have exceeded this degradation
temperature.

We later considered using short half-life radioactive isotopes, or,
alternatively, uncommon stable ions, or uncommon stable isotopes, but
our efforts were diverted into other investigations and I simply did
not get around to trying any of these other methods of directly
establishing a connection.

Ron Keam

--

Ron Keam