[Geysers] Grand & other pix wanted

David Schwarz david.schwarz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 18:28:34 PDT 2006

   Wow.  People go to a webcam pointed at a geyser, and are much more
bothered when there aren't enough people in the image than when the top of
the geyser gets cut off?  Perhaps they should consider a webcam pointed at
the streets of Tokyo or New York City if it's people they want to see?
Granted, most of the time there's a lot of unnecessary sky in the image, but
when the camera is capturing the geyser in eruption, which I believe is the
point, it's nice if the whole thing actually fits in the frame.

   The new angle of the webcam is much better for capturing images of the
unique features that motivate its existence in the first place:  Old
Faithful and the geyser basin beyond it.  I don't need to browse to an image
of Old Faithful to see crowds.  I can go downtown if that's all I want.

   As for the complaints that the image is off-center, or that the
composition is wrong because there's not enough foreground:  I'm baffled.
These shots aren't going to be used to make prints for sale at your local
galley, or to pad some budding photographer's portfolio.  It's a
medium-resolution camera whose purpose is much more along the lines of that
of a security camera:  To convey an almost-real-time image of its subject,
in this case, Old Faithful, and particularly to let people see it (and,
incidentally, other geysers), erupt without leaving the comfort of their
homes or offices.

David Schwarz