[Geysers] Webcam reporting protocol

Mike O'Brien obrien at rush.aero.org
Fri Aug 25 14:04:45 PDT 2006

> If I can make a suggestion, ask whoever administrates the cam's server
> about NTP (Network Time Protocol). Its a small daemon (background
> process) that is used to keep the computer time more accurate.  Proper
> configuration would allow the cam to synch with the USNO's atomic
> clock and make the timestamps accurate.

	Elric is right and I'm chagrined I didn't think of this.
All my computers run NTP, and all their clocks are within milliseconds
of the NTIS standard time.  If the webcam's own computer ran NTP,
then the webcam's timestamps would be as valid as anybody's logbook
entries.

	This, however, doesn't alter the fact that all of the
webcam's geyser times would be "i.e."  You can't tell when the
eruption started when you only get snapshots at 20-second intervals
(at best).

	NTP is free software and access to the various primary
NTP time standards is likewise free.

	(I am even more chagrined that I saw the first presentation
ever by the Berkeley grad student who came up with the NTP
protocol, and my immediate reaction was, "Boy this is recherche',
why would anyone ever want to do this?"  Baka, baka, baka, as
they say in the manga.)

Mike O'Brien