[Geysers] Webcam Mania

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Thu Aug 24 23:28:46 PDT 2006

Re webcamitis:

It's something new.  We're trying to make heads and tails of it.

It's also very cool.  We're sharing our enthusiasm.

Combine these two things and a lot of gazers go ga-ga. Analysis combined
with coolness brings out the "best" in us. But it will settle out after a
while.

I received an email from Tom Cawley who said that they are going to adjust
the focus, zoom, and framing of the webcam next week based on a lot of
things, including some of the images we have captured (like the big - and
out-of-picture - OF eruption I saw).

As of now I don't think these postings are too much.  Sometimes I think
they're wrong, but like I said, things will sort themselves out.  I like the
effort people are going through to determine distant steam clouds.  But
remember - the location of the steam cloud might not be directly over the
vent of the erupting geyser.  I once saw Giantess begin erupting from Daisy
and it seemed like something east of Solitary was i.e.  I often look as much
at the shape and form of the steam cloud.  But, like Lynn noted, this is
also fraught with peril.

On some cool, sunny morning I'd LOVE to get a call from the monkey cage that
Mastiff is the height of the cone. I'd surely like to see that first blast
from Giant on the webcam, even if I could only see its magnificent steam
cloud over the trees.  (A glimpse of water would be great.)

Paul Strasser