[Geysers] Webcam Mania

MA Bellingham mabdepot at msn.com
Thu Aug 24 19:27:21 PDT 2006

Here's a thought -  (From conversations with various gazers)

For those who only want data on the list serve, versus those who are excited
about the new web-toy, (ahem, I fit into both groups) there are other ways
to share the excitement of webcam captures, indicators, hey - maybe even
Vault!

There are 3 Yellowstone internet groups or "chat pages";  posting a Beehive
indicator there is actually likely to reach someone who might catch it if
they are checking the page. Cam captures can be posted through online photo
hosting setups like Photobucket or Flickr.

The first:  "The Total Yellowstone Chat Page"...  use your own name or
invent a chat handle and jump in.  I know of at least 5 list serve members
who frequent that page.

http://www.yellowstone-natl-park.com/wwwboard/chat2.htm

The second:  Yellowstone Net Forum

I know of more geyser list serve members who frequent the Dot-Net pages as
well.  Different format, there is already a "OF Webcam Back up" thread.
Someone could start a "Beehive Indicator" or "Wow Giantess" thread... you
can mark the topics so you receive an email when a reply has been posted.
That could be good when Giantess erupts, if you aren't already glued to the
webcam.

http://www.yellowstone.net/forums/index.php?sid=ef427af6b8aa07a73dd74023e0d13e43

The third (and there may be more) is a yahoo group, I think it is called
yellowstone addicts, a search should locate that for you.  I try to keep up
with both the above pages, so don't know much about the yahoo groups, that's
enough for me; but the different style of one of these pages may appeal to
you more than another.  On any page, geyser lovers will appreciate having
more than Wolf sightings!

If anyone has the hosting capability, a geyser chat page would be the ideal,
but we can share lots of non-data, non educational info elsewhere, and some
of it near real-time for potentially catching major eruptions on the hill.
If you think checking a chat page regularly wouldn't fit into your life,
think how often you check email, or the webcam.  It only takes a quick visit
or "refresh" to see what's happening when you are online.

Last, for those who have a quick comment or replies; realize that not
necessarily everything needs to go on the list.  Clicking on the email of
the sender is efficient and gets your message to them.  I have done a bit of
that in the last days about that darn steam cloud behind the trees.  I tried
to do my part to save our Moderators from having to screen and clear more
posts, not entirely successfully, but did have a few "private" conversations
that didn't fill up 300 email inboxes...

End of my two cents.

Canyon VC Grand opening tomorrow,
MA

M.A. Bellingham