[Geysers] Webcam azimuths

Gordon Bower siegmund at gci.net
Thu Aug 24 03:03:55 PDT 2006

Being stuck so far from the Park, I thought I would try another approach to helping identify mystery steam clouds: I dragged out my copy of  USGS Map I-1371, rotated a straight-edge around the approximate location of the camera, and noted the order in which the straightedge swept past features on the map.

As it turns out, I positioned my pin a little bit behind and to the left of where the camera actually is. (On the camera image, Beehive is distinctly left of Lion, and Old Faithful is distinctly closer to Sponge than to Giantess; on my calculated list, Lion and Beehive line up, and Old Faithful was almost halfway between Sponge and Giantess.)

Anyway, for what it is worth: P must be Riverside (no other frequent down-basin geyser is even close); J (not K) is depression; I is indeed Solitary; and it would be nice to sometime catch a webcam image of an erupting Plate to see if F is Plate. (My memory says Plate is closer to Sponge than where the F arrow is... but  we've seen people's memories and eyes be a lot farther off than that already this week.)

Here is the complete list, clockwise. The sequence is right (for where I had my pin - see above)  but I wouldn't trust any one compass number to be better than 2 degrees of correct.

305 - Castle
308 - Crested Pool
312 - Splendid
313 - Daisy
316 - Sawmill
319 - Oblong, Grand
321 - Giant
321 - Grotto
322 - Artemisia
324 - Link
325 - Fan and Mortar
==LEFT EDGE OF IMAGE, according to the Satellite photo==
327 - Riverside
330 - Depression
331 - Arrowhead
332 - Little Cub, Scissors Spring
333 - Lion, Beehive
337 - North Goggle
339 - Plate, Ear Spring
340 - Sponge, Plume, Pendant
343 - Cascade, Pump
344 - Anemone, Old Faithful
347 - Aurum
347 - Giantess
349 - Bronze Spring
351 - Butterfly Spring (behind trees), Solitary
356 - Dome
==RIGHT EDGE, according to the Satellite photo==

I am glad this subject came up. I had been meaning to make several lists like this to aid in identifying of steam clouds from common gazing locations (rooms with a view at the Inn; steam clouds above the trees from the Plume bench; Geyser Hill steam clouds from between Sawmill and Grand and from Daisy; the crest of the hill between Artemisia and Morning Glory.) Now I have the map spread out and may actually do it.... only about 14 years after the map came in the mail.