[Geysers] Hydrothermal "Thumps"

Ron Keam r.keam at auckland.ac.nz
Tue Aug 22 18:31:25 PDT 2006

>Question for the masses:  What causes Thumps?  Some of us were having a
>discussion about steam explosions, steam implosions, and so on.

Both steam explosions and steam implosions cause thumps, but usually
it is more likely to be steam implosions.

Once I observed the following phenomenon in the shallows of Frying
Pan Lake, Waimangu: About a metre off-shore was a vent, perhaps 20 cm
below the surface, and from this was a steady discharge of steam
causing a rapid succession of 'flashes' of scattered sunlight as
bubbles of steam about 2cm in diameter followed each other into the
lake.  I estimate that there might have been about five bubbles a
second discharged.  This resulted in a succession of "popping" sounds
as the bubbles collapsed in the cooler water (about 55degC).  The
activity described continued without any variation or abatement
during the whole of my time in the vicinity, perhaps about ten
minutes.  The place where this was happening is quite a long way from
the tourist path and, for all I know, might still be occurring.

At Whakarewarewa in the early 1950s a succession of thumps used to
occur in the Parekohoru hot spring at the commencement of its
approximately hourly increased outflows.  These thumps could be felt
50 metres away in the quiet of the night.  I do not know if that
behaviour is continuing.

I was present at Orakeikorako once (late 1950s) when there was a
noticeable ground shock, and simultaneously Diamond Geyser gave the
highest water shot I have ever seen it produce - perhaps 6 or 7
metres.  This presumably was an explosion rather than an implosion
effect.

My impression is that the thumps that one can feel in the vicinity of
Big Blue (Kaleidoscope area) at YNP are implosion events.

Maori people were disturbed one night at Whakarewarewa by
"explosions".  In the morning nothing untoward was immediately to be
seen, but soon afterwards it was noticed that water from
Roto-a-Tamaheke lake was flowing through a channel into some
connected hot springs that, previously, had been discharging into the
lake.  The whole area around the lake gradually cooled and remains
so.  What seems to have happened is that water started flowing from
the lake into the formerly dicsharging springs and started condensing
steam pockets in the former supply to those hot springs.  This
resulted in a runaway cooling as more and more lake water was
swallowed.

Ron Keam
--

Ron Keam