[Geysers] Geyser report August 16

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Wed Aug 16 14:55:31 PDT 2006

Finally, a fairly good amount of time in the UGB. To report first about
Giant-Grotto (bearing in mind that mostly I have NOT been there). The last  full
marathon eruption was apparently that of Thursday-Friday last week. Since  then
Grotto's tendency has been to have a "mini-marathon" sort of eruption,  those
things that are also referred to as 5K and 10K eruptions, with durations
mostly between 6 and 12 hours (one of perhaps 15 hours). With that, the first
Grotto Group activity after such an eruption has sometimes been either a solo
Grotto Fountain (as happened yesterday) or a Grotto Fountain triggering a short
 duration Grotto.

With all this, the reaction by Giant has been variable, ranging from series
of short weak hot periods to things like yesterday, when there was a hot
period  with a duration of 16 minutes (yes, 16) but which involved relatively
little  action by Mastiff or Giant.

Yesterday, Grotto started in midday and ended sometime "well before 0500"
today. The Giant hot period at 0714 was no doubt the recovery. It lasted  just
3m 25s and had only light overflow by Mastiff (which was basically  invisible
due to steam and fog). At 0922 was another hot period that was a  bit better,
with a duration of 8m 45s and some Mastiff surging to maybe 2 feet.  And then
at 1148, a hot period with a duration of 4m 12s and Mastiff  briefly to 3 feet
with heavier overflow. Finally (for me), a hot period  unanticipated at
1257ns, duration about 8 minutes and some Mastiff surging to 4  or 5 feet.

Grotto Fountain had started at 1209 (d = 21 min) and Grotto at 1224. Grotto
was still i.e. at 1320 at least.

What seems to be happening to at least some extent is that the Grotto-Giant
system doesn't quite know what to do. Anyhow, I left the UGB just before 1400
and if Giant has gone since then, I wouldn't be highly surprised.

Other things:

Plume was at 0906, 1004, ----, 1204, and 1304.

It is at least three days in a row that Beehive has erupted between 1200  and
1300. Today it was 1230 after an Indicator of 19 minutes.

Aurum had a short interval of 4h 31m.

Tilt's Baby seems to be holding to intervals near 1 1/2 hours. Today it was
called at 0853, 1021, ----, and 1331.

Grand had been at 0239E, then not until 1221 (2 bursts).

Oblong also had a long interval of nearly 6 hours, from 0709 to 1252.

Daisy was missed early due to the fog, but we did have it at 1048 and  1352.

But Riverside was short, from 0720ns to 1313.

Both inbound and outbound, the only eruption I saw in the LGB was  Clepsydra.
But, if this might be passed along, Great Fountain was in _very_  early
overflow at 1404.