[Geysers] Norris The Gap

Smokey s at weststartv.com
Mon Aug 14 08:04:53 PDT 2006

Greetings,

I just received the pictures from Jerry! (Thanks Jerry)  The feature in
Jerry's pictures is definitely NOT "Elk Geyser".  The feature in the
pictures is of one of the many UNG features out in Tantalus Creek north
of Cinder Pool.  Mike Keller, Rocco Paperiello and others have seen many
of these features come and go out there in Tantalus Creek.  The area
just to the north of Cinder Pool has many of them that are active
intermittently.
I am not sure if this is what Scott saw or not.  I will be interested to
hear.
The location of "Elk Geyser" is approximately 500 meters to the
east-northeast of the east end of "The Gap" in Ragged Hills.  The last
time I saw it there was a large pool (Approx. 10m in diameter) and there
were two vents toward the west end that were bubbling.  There is a
fairly large tree at the south end of the pool that lays into the pool
somewhat.
There were two very active features between "Elk Geyser" and "The Gap".
One was seen after the large Alaska earthquake to make sudden changes in
water temp, Ph and activity while I was there. (See Bob Smith's paper on
the changes caused by that earthquake)  This feature is about half-way
between "Elk Geyser" and "The Gap".  It is a pool approximately 3mx2m
and mostly oval shaped.  It has been seen to erupt to approx. 8m to 10m
when active.  No regular intervals were timed on it however.
I hope that Scott can give us more accurate info on the location of the
feature that he saw... or maybe make another jaunt out there for some
pictures.  That would be great.
Thanks again Jerry for the pics!!

Take Care,

Smokey