[Geysers] Status of Old Faithful WebCam

krmorby at comcast.net krmorby at comcast.net
Mon Aug 7 19:26:16 PDT 2006

The folowing was received from Web Coordinator Tom Cawley on 8-7-06.  I assume the location, "up a tree" is temporary pending the completion of the new VC.

"Anyhow, here's the short story on the Old Faithful WebCam.

A location has been approved by 6 members of the staff, each according to
their specialty, in compliance with regulations related to making changes
in historic districts and construction that could effect park resources.
Now that everyone of consequence agrees that the selected location is safe
for park resources, and funds have been approved, the maintenance crew at
Old Faithful will begin digging a trench from the temporary visitor center
to the selected tree. They will have to cut through a 12-foot wide section
of sidewalk to run the conduit through the trench. Hopefully the trenching
work will be done this week. Then staff from Telecommunications and
Computer Support Services will pull the cables necessary to operate the
camera. Toward the end of next week that work should be completed. Our
Network Administrator plans to evaluate the progress on Wednesday, Aug 16.
If everything is in place, we will proceed with the camera installation at
the end of next week. Barring any difficulties with wiring or camera I hope
to have the camera running by August 21. It wouldn't surprise me if it took
longer though. I wouldn't bet on its being done before August 25.

That's my best estimate based on the latest discussions I've heard. The
chosen location offers the best angle for including Geyser Hill thermal
features in the background of our Old Faithful WebCam image."

Kent Morby