[Geysers] GIANT August 5 at 1541

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Sat Aug 5 16:46:21 PDT 2006

Details and a photo or two will follow, after the "tradition" of a
celebration at Eino's.

The Grotto marathon that started around 0400 yesterday ended today at 0346
(electronic).

After a rather long recovery (to me, anyway, given "only" a 24-hour
marathon), the recovery hot period began at 1529. Mastiff was immediately strong  but
then, at roughly the 5-minute mark, it dropped and possibly even went below
overflow. It came back quite quickly, though.

Mastiff then grew progressively stronger. About the time it took off there
was vertical surging in Giant. Mastiff eventually reached (we're guessing) 60
to  80 feet high from both vent. Catfish joined in but only to about 20-25 feet
and  very steamy. Bijou roared.

Then Giant at 1541. Well over 200 feet at the start.

This was a 5-sign eruption, meaning all of the sign logs on the platform
were moved, three off the platform and two turned in position.

Gotta go.