[Geysers] Who'se being rude to who (whom?)?

Ruth & Leslie Quinn ruthleslie at ispwest.com
Fri Aug 4 07:48:34 PDT 2006

Friends, Romans, Countrymen, Countrywomen, and Strangers,
    Ah, so someone felt someone was rude to them in the geyser basins. Maybe someone was. Or maybe it was the person who wrote the letter who was rude. Those of you who know me know that I'm not a geyser gazer, I'm a geyser opportunist. I love to walk the geyser basins, and I love to watch geysers erupt, but, provided by natural selection with the patience of a hummingbird, I rarely sit and wait for a geyser. 'Tis not a burden; I get more exercise though I see fewer geysers, and that's just fine (save for still not getting enough exercise).
    BUT, with all the strolling around I come up on gazers a lot. So many times, they smile, ask me (if they recognize me) how I'm doing and how's life and all, or (if they don't recognize me) if I'm enjoying my visit, and would I like to see a nice geyser. And, often, they look up just enough to register that I'm there and go back to their book, notebook, or whatever. But in virtually all cases, the gazer(s) makes it prety obvious whether or not they would like some interaction. So, anyone with any understanding of human nature can then know how to act in return. If you find someone rude, it may well be because you were trying to force interaction with someone who, because of what natural selection provided them or because the next cabin had rabble-rousers all night who denied them their sleep, just wanted to be left alone, and if you can't figure it out, well you deserve be treated rudely for never having bothered to learn a little about the nature of your fellow human beings.
    I have always found GOSA members to be, to a person, regular folks, wonderful, nice, quiet, boisterous, mean, nasty, solitary, and gregarious. Keep up the great work!
    Just one of the rabble,
Leslie Quinn