[Geysers] Yellowstone trip

Gary Einstein greinstein at prodigy.net
Tue Aug 1 17:38:07 PDT 2006

My family and I have just returned from a road trip that included July
16-23 in Yellowstone.

In reviewing my accumulated e-mail I had mixed feelings that Giant
waited until four hours after my family left the park to finally erupt,
and has even erupted again. I was puzzled abut the letter sent to the
GOZA Store concerning Geyser Gazers.

I will not repeat geyser times, events, etc as they as more than stale
now. But I would like to make several observations from a gazer who had
been too long from the park:
Less than normal sleep was more than offset by the 6:00 am walks from
the Lodge Cabin to Grand and Giant every morning and the serenity along
the way. Books that were read or audio books listened to while waiting
for Grand to erupt or a Giant hot period, and the excitement and
anticipation of whether the hot period would become an eruption (Maybe
next visit). Waiting by Beehive, with the indicator going and some
gazers telling the strolling visitors that it may be wise to wait for a
few minutes.

As to the letter to the GOZA Store/Udo from the unnamed gazer, Goza
members are not part of a fraternity or service club with a mission to
educate or instruct others. What joins us together is the love of geyser
watching. We are a diverse group, but we are not jr. rangers or park
service volunteers. Some gazers just want to be left alone in their
observations or thoughts. There is nothing wrong with that. Some are
more outgoing, with a desire to share their knowledge with others who
have made the long journey to Yellowstone. These gazers enjoy adding
something more to a tourist’s trip down the boardwalk.

Personally, I want to thank Scott Bryan, Kitt Barger, the Strassers (and
their mother/mother-in-law), and numerous others for making me feel part
of the gazer family.

Gary Einstein