[Geysers] Mastiff eruption again - 4/29/06

Matthew McLean fromyellowstonewithlove at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 29 16:40:39 PDT 2006

Hello again,

Mastiff erupted again this afternoon.  Once again, Giant did not follow.
Here is the story . . .

Another Grotto Marathon (We must be at something like 10 in a row at this
point) ended sometime this morning (I want to say I heard it called sometime
around 10:30).

When I arrived after work (about 1530) Bijou had just restarted for the
first time since the end of the Marathon after a decent fill in Mastiff.
This was followed by a low fill, another somewhat decent fill, slow sluggish
fill, and finally the fill that led to the Hot Period.

At 1621 Giant started showing some seriously heavy vertical surging (pouring
water out the front of the cone) Mastiff started splashing and we realized
it was filling fast.  As it reached near overflow, feather started to
overflow as well and someone called Oblong.  Within seconds Feather and
Feather Satellite were on and soon joined by the Southwest Vents and Rust
(overflow from Turtle but no splashing).

Over the next three minutes Mastiff overflowed heavily and at times surged
to the height of the cone.  When Mastiff's left/front pool stopped at 3
minutes, the right/back vent started surging 4 to 6 feet (Andrew Bunning
mentioned that he did not think he had seen this before and David Goldberg
upon hearing about it though it sounded a little unusual, too)

Soon the front/left pool began boiling again and there was 1 foot splashing
out of the vent to the right and behind Catfish.  Over the next minute
Mastiff built in size until it was twice the height of the cone (back vent
vertical, front vent to the left with water landing behind Bijou).  This
lasted for about 15 seconds - then it stopped and Mastiff drained
immediately (I mean that it was 5 second from full height to empty crater).
Bijou came back on and feather quickly stopped.

Within seconds Mastiff began to refill and remained about a foot and a half
below overflow for about 2 minutes.  When it finally did drain, Bijou went
into a violent steam phase and a small vent on the front of its mound (just
to the left of Catfish) erupted to a foot for about 5 seconds (something I
have never seen before).  After a few minutes Feather went into a series of
attempts to try and restart but never made it.  Posthole, Posthole
Satellite, and Slit all made post Hot Period appearances.

Total Hot Period duration approximately 6 minutes.

That is all for now, but you know where I am going to be tomorrow morning!!

-Matthew