[Geysers] Giant info - 4-28-06

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Sat Apr 29 15:25:08 PDT 2006

Elizabeth Medley asked:

Question:  Are the frequent eruptions of Giant affecting its height or
duration?  Or does there seem to be adequate supply that it could do major
eruptions every third for eternity?
-----
Answer:  The eruption on 4/23 was in the low range of those I've seen.
There was a strong wind that definitely knocked it down a bit, and most of
the viewers were so close that it's hard to say for sure how tall it was.
It was certainly not the shortest I've seen (May 97 still has that record -
the video suggests not much more than 170).  As far as I know this is the
only eruption in this recent hyperactivity whose start was seen so no other
max heights are known.  There is no evidence to suggest that shorter
intervals equate with less powerful eruptions.

The duration of 85 minutes is well within the normal range, with a few
outliers.

Eternity?  That's a long time.  I'll be happy if it keeps going through
November.  Let it rest over the winter, and start up again next opening
weekend.

More seriously, the activity in 1950s lasted for several years.  It is
certainly within the realm of known Giant activity to have such short
intervals last for months and years.

Paul S.