[Geysers] "There is water being annoying in Mastiff"

Matthew McLean fromyellowstonewithlove at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 27 23:00:09 PDT 2006

4-27-06

Hello all,

I spent a quiet evening in the geyser basin.  The weather was nice but
slightly chilly.  Castle, Daisy, and Riverside all erupted while I was out
there and some people I know mentioned that they saw Beehive shortly after
1800.

Here is some info on Giant:

It appeared as though Grotto marathoned earlier today but how much earlier I
couldn't tell.  Bijou was off when I arrived around 1825 and water was
sitting in Mastiff just below visible level (the sun reflecting off the
water gave a wavy look to the rock on  the back of the crater).  When I went
past the GIP the water was very high.  Over the next two hours Mastiff was
cycling up and down every 5 to 10 minutes.  Some of the fills were high,
some were fast, some were slow, some had lots of boiling, some were very
calm.  Each time, though, it appeared that the water was stopping at higher
and higher low level. (If anyone wants exact times on these fill cycles
please let me know and I will post them).  It sounds like what was happening
was just like this past Saturday (from what I have read and heard).
Eventually darkness and cold sent me home so hopefully the status of the
platform will be checked early in the morning.

Interesting to note:  When I arrived the signs were washed (Warning sign
against the cage and Giant sign down the run off channel).  So, either they
were never replaced after the Sunday eruption or it has erupted since then.
I hope someone reading this knows if they were replaced or not.  While I was
at Giant this evening Katy Duffy and Patrick Matheney came by and replaced
them.

I think that is all for now - take care,

Matthew