[Geysers] Giant - Sunday

Paul Strasser upperbasin at comcast.net
Thu Apr 27 16:33:27 PDT 2006

Yeah, Scott, I see your point.  It was fascinating, but like watching a
three-hour bottom vent.  The concept of "fun" begins to wear, especially
when the same activity resulted in such confusion the day before.  I surely
am glad I saw it and was able to record it both in my logbook and on video
(24 minutes of F, FS, and Bijou is REALLY cool.)

It was absolutely compelling.  Like I said when the near-25 minute "event"
(I'm still not sure if it was a hot period) I was definitely NOT leaving the
platform.   "Fun" isn't exactly the right word.  Considering Suzanne and I
didn't leave the platform basically for 2.5 days in daylight I was not
thinking in terms of "gee this is fun" in the 22nd minute.

I knew how those paragraphs would sound to folks like you (and me, if
reversed) who'd chomp at the bit to see this.  I'd like to hear what others
who saw the activity Sat-Sun thought. was it fun?  It was cool, sort of like
Grand's massive steam phases.  Heh.  Frankly, it was like the world wasn't
quite acting right.

Regarding your question - there is no evidence that this activity preceded
the prior eruptions because nobody saw the pre-eruption activity of any of
these eruptions.  I mentioned as one of the possibilities to cause the sign
tumbles was similar Mastiff solo activity.  Nobody really knows.

I had no intention of sounding curmudgeonly.  That position is already
filled.

Paul S.

  _____