[Geysers] Geyser Report 4-8-06 Giant erupts

Mike Keller KSCOPE_YNP at peoplepc.com
Sat Apr 8 18:25:11 PDT 2006

Lots of sun and wind in the Upper Basin today.  For those of you coming in
on opening weekend, the NPS has plowed the trail all the way to Morning
Glory so it is easy to ride a bicycle.

Dome was active today.

Aurum erupted at 1302.

One closed interval on Plume measured 73 minutes.

I didn't make it over to Sawmill today.  I never saw Sawmill or Tardy in
eruption at any time today.

Castle was in major eruption at 1154ie.

Vent and Turban were 1144ie.

Giant erupted sometime between 4/01 and 4/08.  Based on how it looked today
I would guess it was at least 2 days ago.  Bijou had recovered and there was
evidence of Giant already having hot periods.

Grotto was 1020ie, and still erupting at 1350.

Fan and Mortar are still marked.

A quick stop at Fountain showed it was still active.

While I was at Fountain I saw Honeycomb and Kaleidoscope erupt.

"Round Spring", the small feature by the road in the Thud Group, has heated
up enough to kill all the cyanobacteria in its vent and having periods of
overflow and boiling.  During the winter it was not acting this way and had
thick brown and orange cyanobacteria lining its vent.

MK