[Geysers] A mud geyser

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 16:16:29 PDT 2006

the Pelican Creek Mud Volcano most likely no longer exists as it did in the
1870s (surprise ! ), but the following description that I just found in
_Wonderland Nomenclature_ is fun, and remids one of the "vertically gifted  cyclic
mud pot" at Pocket Basin.

Scott Bryan
----------

Peale took note of the following  description of the spring written by Dr. S.
Weir Mitchell who passed it in  1879:
"as it has not been hitherto  examined by any save hunters, I shall describe
[it] at some length.  A gradual rising ground made up of soft  sulphureous and
calcareous earth was crowned by a more abrupt rise some  thirty-five feet
high, composed of tough gray clay.  This was pierced by a cone of regular  form
about thirty feet across at top and five feet at the bottom.  On the west,
about one-third of the  circumference was wanting from a point six feet above the
lowest level, thus  enabling one to be at a distance or to stand close by, and
yet see to the bottom  of the pit.  The ground all around  and the shrubs and
trees were dotted thick with flakes of dry mud, which gave,  at a distance, a
curious stippled look to the mud-spattered surfaces.  As I stood watching the
volcano I could  see through the clouds of steam it steadily emitted that the
bottom was full of  dark gray clay mud, thicker than a good mush, and that,
apparently, there were  two or more vents.  The outbreak of  imprisoned steam
at intervals of a half minute or more threw the mud in small  fig-like masses
from five to forty feet in air with a dull, booming sound,  sometimes loud
enough to be heard for miles through the awful stillness of these  lonely hills.
It is clear, from the  fact of our finding these mudpatches at least one
hundred yards from the crater,  that at times much more violent explosions take
place.  The constant plastering of the slopes of  the crater which these
explosions cause tends to seal up its vent, but the  greater explosions cleanse it at
times, and all the while the steam softens the  masses on the sides, so that
they slip back into the boiling caldron below.  As one faces the slit in the
cone there  lies to the right a pool of creamy thin mud, white and yellow,
feebly  boiling.  It is some thirty feet  wide, and must be not more than twenty
feet from the crater; its level I guessed  at sixteen feet above that of the
bottom of the crater.
"After an hour's observation near to the volcano I retired some fifty  feet,
and, sheltering myself under a stunted pine, waited in the hope of seeing  a
greater outbreak.  After an hour  more the boiling lessened and the frequent
explosions ceased for perhaps fifteen  minutes.  Then [all] of a sudden  came a
booming sound, followed by a hoarse noise, as the crater filled with  steam,
out of which shot, some seventy-five feet in air, about a cartload of  mud.  It
fell over an area of fifty  yards around the crater in large or small masses,
which flattened as they  struck.  As soon as it ended I  walked toward the
crater.  A moment  later a second squirt shot out sideways and fell in a line
athwart the mud-pool  near by, crossing the spot where I had been standing so
long, and covering me,  as I advanced, with rare patches of hot mud.  Some
change took place after this in the  character and consistency of the mud, and now,
at intervals, the curious  spectacle was afforded by rings of mud like the
smoke-rings cast by a cannon or  engine-chimney.  As they turned in  air they
resembled at times the figure 8; once they assumed the form of a huge  irregular
spiral some ten feet high, although usually the figures were like long
spikes, or, more rarely, thin formless leaves, and even like bats or deformed
birds."

_[1]_ (aoldb://mail/write/template.htm#_ftnref1)   S.Weir Mitchell, "Through
the Yellowstone Park to Fort Custer.", Lippincott's Magazine  26:30-31, July
1880.