[Geysers] Artist IDs

Debbie Sjodin Debbie.Sjodin at spl.org
Tue Apr 4 07:31:36 PDT 2006

Edouard Riou, 1833-1900. career illustrator including novels.

Hildebrand is a German surname

>>> TSBryan at aol.com 04/02/06 4:03 PM >>>
I think I posed this question before, but I try again. If anybody can
provide any _basic_ info about the following two people, who produced engravings  of
Yellowstone features in the 1870s, I sure appreciate hearing. they are:

E. Riou, who in addition to Yellowstone was prolific in illustrating a  great
many geological and geographical works (for example, 600 "engravings on
wood" in _A Journey Across South America_ by Paul Marcoy (Blackie & Son,  London,
1873). Fine, but I can't seen to find out anything about Riou  himself.

I know even less about one T. Hildebrand, whose wonderful engraving "The
Great Geyser" of Crested Pool with Castle in the background implies that the
pool is something more than 60 feet in diameter.

Thanks.