[Geysers] Geyser report September 20

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Tue Sep 20 17:41:49 PDT 2005

In part this was one of those days when everything erupted too soon, about  3
minutes before I got there.

Curious event: While awaiting Beehive (see below), it occurred to me that I
had not seen Big Anemone in eruption. I should have gone right up to
investigate  because after Beehive I (and Ralph Friz) found that most of Big's
surroundings  were bone dry. There had been some sort of eruption, apparently, but it
failed  to put runoff into either Little Anemone or into the runoffs next to
the  boardwalk. Meanwhile, Little had runoff much farther downslope than it's
"supposed" to, into grassy areas. Interesting. I am sure that the one apparent
 weak eruption by Big was the only one between 1300 and 1400, and perhaps
much  longer.

Plume, meanwhile, was clicking right along, with observed intervals today  of
51, 48 and 47 minutes, plus a double interval of 101 minutes.

Yesterday's Beehive was at an interval of 23h 08m. Today's, at 1344 with a
13 minute Indicator, was an interval of 23h 02m. Imagine: predicable at  23:05
+ or - 3 minutes!

Nobody (really, NObody) was around to witness Grand's start at 0800 or so
(it probably ended at 0811, and per distant steam clouds it may have had two
bursts).

Oblong was full and had what looked like a strong overflow at 0820 but  it
didn't erupt until 1400 exactly.

There was a weak Giant Hot Period that ended at 0831. Duration is unknown,
but India was barely touched. No doubt there were more hot periods through the
day, but nobody reported one while I was around.

Monitor data shows that Daisy is now averaging close to 3 1/2 hours, and
today's intervals of 3h 29m and 3h 14m bear that out. Naturalists are now using
3 1/4 hours for predictions.

And by the way, Fan and Mortar -- tah-dah -- have not erupted.