[Geysers] Riverside's bimodality

Ralph Taylor ralpht at iglou.com
Sun Oct 23 11:27:39 PDT 2005

The electronic record does not contain enough information to determine
eruption duration, and I have not personally timed any durations recently.
I have not looked at the temperature trace for indications of unusual
activity at the 6-hour mark, but I will try to do so for some cases as soon
as I can.

It is the case that nearly all of the variation is in the overflow time, as
Lynn Stephens pointed out to me a couple of years ago.  I certainly would
not be surprised to find out that there is some sort of increase in
overflow, temperature, boiling, or other indication of increased readiness
for a eruption at the six hour mark, since we often see such indications of
an "aborted eruption" in other geysers.  I am thinking of phenomena like big
preplay splashes in Old Faithful (often seen near the predicted eruption
time on long intervals) or big preplay splashes that delay Lion initial
eruptions, or delays at Grand.

Ralph