[Geysers] Recovery of Rotorua

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri Oct 21 08:31:45 PDT 2005

Hi, All:

This is really addressed to Brad and/or Ashley, who I hope will be able to
respond to the geysers list...

The article in Geothermics 34 (2005) p. 161-185 is excellent. I especially
remember my visit to Rotorua back in June 1993, when I was toured around Whaka
by Ron Keam and Ted Lloyd -- I can never forget Ted's exclamation of "It's a
geyser, and actual geyser!" when we encountered eruptions near Roto-a-Tamaheke.
That was evidently a function of increasing water levels there, so I find (as
do the authors) the current decrease rather curious.

All that aside, though, I write because of the time series plots of Figures 2
and 14 in the article. Maybe I missed this answer during my first reading fo
the article, but the plots show a very clear annual variation in water levels
superimposed on the general increase, the levels generally peaking around
January 1 (USA folks remember that's early summer in NZ). Is there a simple
explanation for this?

And "while I've got you here," any geyser news from Orakei Korako, Waiotapu,
Waimangu, etc?

Thanks.