[Geysers] Geyser Report October 9 (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Sun Oct 9 18:05:45 PDT 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

18:45 10/9

Grotto was ie at 06:48 when Kitt went out this morning but was off when Dan Larsen got there about 8 am.  Grotto waited until 17:15 to have its next eruption.  In the meantime Giant hot periods were at 9:09, d =7m25s, no Cave, no Mastiff surges, no Giant surging, escept one right at the beginning; 13:16, d = 3m55s; and 14:56, d= 9m03s, again nothing exciting--no Mastiff surging and Cave barely burbled.

Grand had two daylight eruptions today.  I finally got to see a two-burst eruption.  Grand erupted at 11:11, a T2C (duration 8m45s--that's right, 8m45s), and at 17:52, 1C, d = 9m36s.

Castle had a minor late this afternoon.

I saw two Lion initial eruptions (both ie) today--one at 07:18 and one at 18:04.

Beehive had a 22h13m interval, eruptiong at 14:21.  The Indicator started 16 minutes before Beehive.

Great Fountain was way down when I checked it at 14:45 so we took it off the prediction board for lack of information.

No one reported an Aurum today.  Generally we have two reports.  Intervals for October vary from a minimum of 3h05m to a maximum of 5h11m.  The 7 intervals have a median of 4h16m and a mean of 4h5m.

Two eruptions of Daisy were reported this morning.  For October there are 13 intervals, varying from a minimum of 2h36m to a maximum of 4h45m.  The median is 3h0m and the mean is 3h4m.

Weather:  We only had a tiny skiff of snow here last night.  It was mostly cloudy today, with some patches of blue.  The clouds would start to break up, then would coalesce again into a mass of gray, then break up, then coalesce.  They parted enough during the late afternoon Grand that we (all 6 of us there for the eruption--myself and 5 visitors) had a rainbow during most of the eruption.

Wildlife:  There's one independent cow with her calf that neither bull seems to be able to keep attached to his harem.  She was in the meadow this morning with no other elk anywhere in sight.  I think she is the same one that I've seen at least one of the bulls trying to corral the past two - three weeks.

Visitor comment of the day:  Upon seeing the price of gas at the lower gas station--"Holy ----, that's higher than the prices in California."  I don't think he realized either how loudly he made the comment or how voices carry when there aren't many people around.  He didn't put very much gas in his vehicle.  But the price of gas isn't any cheaper in West Yellowstone--at least not for the same octane levels.

Lynn Stephens