[Geysers] 1891 finding by Lee Whittlesey

Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov Lee_Whittlesey at nps.gov
Sun Oct 9 15:32:26 PDT 2005

Here's an interesting item that I found on a research trip to the east
coast recently. An 1891 party of visitors got out of their stagecoach at
Grotto Geyser to look at geysers, and soon met a hotel porter who was a
serious geyser gazer. His name remains unknown, but I cracked up at it.
Does this account remind you of some people you know? Here is how the party
described it:

"Soon a man with a note book and an air of importance walked up to the
furiously boiling geyser and after carefully inspecting various holes full
of hot water that he called indicators, he informed us that the geyser
would go up in half an hour or so and also said that this was the first one
likely to go up."
(The Ashley Family, "Chronicles of the Summer Vacation Trip of the 'A's',"
bound typescript, no date [1891?], trip definitely in 1891.)

Lee Whittlesey
Park Historian