[Geysers] Geyser Report (10/6/05) Stephens

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Thu Oct 6 15:54:18 PDT 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

1639 10/6/05

Old Faithful started off the morning with a short duration eruption, resulting in a 61 minute interval.  Shorts are so infrequent now that when the next predication announcement is made an addendum "Yes, it was a short" is added to the announcement.

When Steve Robinson arrived at Giant this morning about 7 am, he estimated that Giant had had a strong hot period within the preceding hour.  Kendall Madsen (I hope this is the correct spelling) called an 8 minute 14 seconds hot period at 0825.  He reported that Cave erupted 6-8" and Mastiff had a 3-5 foot surge, but India was only 2/3 covered.

Dan Larsen called Grotto Fountain and 9:39 and Grotto at 9:42.  Grotto was still erupting when I came in this afternoon.  Interval from start to start of marathons--about 47 hours.  Steve called a 6 minute 50 second hot period at 13:16, with nothing notable in his transmission.

Curtis Madsen reported Artemisia at 10:00, the first report of an eruption in at least a week.

The pile of rocks on Fan & Mortar that was placed as a marker after the August 8 eruption is still in place.

Castle had a minor yesterday evening.

Beehive rolled forward about half an hour, erupting at 11:12.  Unfortunately the geyser fog had prevented people from seeing the Indicator, which wasn't called until 11:07ie.  I stayed at Grand to get the next Turban, so missed Beehive.  Grand erupted at 11:17 (T1Q), so it wasn't possible to see both anyway.  Grand has been having only one daylight eruption recently, although it could possibly erupt before dark tonight.

After a few days with no reports of Oblong, Kendall called Oblong at 8:53 this morning and Steve called it at 12:01 ie.

Great Fountain rolled back to 14:38, about a 22 1/2 hour interval for two.  Yesterday it had a long pause (11 minutes) and today I was asked what recent overflow data had been.  I ran data for Memorial Day through September 30.  Pauses had been recorded for 123 eruptions.  Length of the pauses ranged from 0 to 10 minutes for that period.  55% of the pauses were "0"; "average pause was 2 minutes.  There were 60 data points for overflow during that time, ranging from a minimum of 67 minutes to a maximum of 116 minutes.  Mean and median overflow was 86 minutes.

Gemini was active again this afternoon.

Weather--Cold last night with lots of stars.  Sunny, blue sky today after the geyser fog burned off.  I was at Grand this morning when Kendall called Oblong and couldn't even see the top of the steam cloud.  When Dan called Daisy at 10:19, we couldn't see Daisy's steam cloud either.  Tomorrow should be more of the same.

Wildlife--This morning the big bull elk had his group of cows and calves in front of the lower parking lot.  Whenever one of the cows would stray too far (in his opinion), he'd go running after her and chase her back.  He was literally running himself ragged trying to keep them together into a tight bunch.

Visitor comment of the day--One visitor calling to another "They're getting ready to show the film about how geysers are made."

It's great to have more gazers and radios here in the Park for a few days.

Lynn Stephens