[Geysers] Geyser Report 10/5/05 (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Wed Oct 5 17:00:22 PDT 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

17:47 10/5/05

Nobody saw Beehive through the driving snowstorms yesterday (10/4).  The cone was showing no signs of life--no steam, no bubblers, nothing--when I went out to try to get the 1730 Old Faithful eruption yesterday.  This morning (10/5) Beehive erupted at 10:44.

Grotto started an eruption yesterday (10/4) at 10:36, which apparently turned into a marathon.  Grotto was still ie at 13:10 when I left Grand and the marathon pool was down about 20-24" when I checked it this morning.

>From the snow on Giant's platform in Mastiff's runoff channel and covering India, it was apparent that Giant had not yet had the recovery hot period when I got there this morning.  Steve Robinson joined me a little while later and the recovery hot period was at 09:01, duration approximately 9 minutes.  There was so much steam that we couldn't tell what Mastiff was doing and couldn't get the exact stop of Feather.  The wind was blowing steam across the platform toward Bijou so I positioned myself to watch Cave and never saw anything from it.  India was completely coverred at 4 1/2 minutes into the hot period.

Steve called another hot period at 14:23, with a duration of 6 minutes 20 seconds.  Once again, he said it was too steamy to tell whether Mastiff had any large surging.

Great Fountain moved forward an hour this afternoon, erupting at 16:09, with an 11 minute pause.

Grand intervals continue to be in the 6 1/4 to 9 hour range, with most eruptions in the early side of the prediction window.  My average since I started a new logbook on 9/30 has been abysmal--T1C, T2Q, 1C, T1C, G1Q, T1C--a whopping 1.2 average (compared with Grand's overall summer average of 1.5.

The driving snowstorm continued until after dark last night, closing many of the roads in the park.  Craig Pass stayed closed until a little after noon today.  This morning the sky was blue and the sun was shining, but the clouds closed in this afternoon.

Wildlife--I was surprised that there is still an osprey here in the Upper Basin.  I thought it would have migrated south by now.

Lynn Stephens