[Geysers] Geyser Report 10/2/05 (Stephens)

lynn stephens lstephens.eagle at mail.sisna.com
Mon Oct 3 05:52:20 PDT 2005

THIS MESSAGE IS FOR THE PERSONAL USE OF THE READERS OF THIS LISTSERV AND MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED FOR ANY OTHER REASON WITHOUT WRITTEN CONSENT FROM THE AUTHOR.

0636, 10/3/05

The radios are rather quiet now.  Dick and Marion Powell left yesterday afternoon, so the only people on the radios yesterday afternoon were myself and the VC staff.

Great Fountain stayed in mid afternoon, erupting at 1507.

The last Pink Cone report had been on 9/27 at 1357ns.  It started yesterday at 1610, and average of 20 hours, 22 minutes for 6 intervals.

Beehive had an interval of 26h24minutes, and was preceded by an Indicator lasting 18 minutes before Beehive started.

Plume continues to erupt regularly, with intervals of about 38 minutes to 50 minutes.

Big Anenome is erupting, but for short durations and much less frequently than Little Anenome.

On Ralph Taylor's "Current Geyser Activity" sheet for the week ended 9/25/05, he reported Castle had had 13 consecutive major to major intervals, without an intervening minor.  Castle had at least one minor overnight 9/26-9/27, another minor the afternoon of 9/27, then a minor the morning of 9/29.  No minors occurred on 9/30, 10/1, or the morning of 10/2.

It snowed off and on until sometime around 1 pm yesterday, but the snow never accumulated on the roads between the Upper and Lower Geyser Basins.  This morning I woke to about 4" of heavy, wet snow on the front windshield and snow and slush on portions of the road between the government housing area and the VC.  I don't think it got very cold last night though because there wasn't any ice anywhere (yet).

I saw a kingfisher at the Castle bridge Saturday morning, but haven't seen any mountain bluebirds for a few days so they may have completed their migration south for the year.

Other people have been reporting influxes of mice, but apparently my cat is doing a good job of keeping the trailer rodent-free.

Lynn Stephens