[Geysers] Oct. 1st Weekend Geyser Report (Kitt)

barger barger at tritel.net
Sun Oct 2 22:52:01 PDT 2005

Greetings all!
     Well, as usual, the geyser bug bit me and I headed in Friday afternoon, Sep. 30th, after preschool was done.  I made it through the East Entrance 20 minutes before it closed at 8 PM.  Traffic wound its way in an orderly fashion around Yellowstone Lake and I arrived at the Upper Geyser Basin area by 9 PM.  I hadn't read the list serve since Wednesday, since I had been busy being the substitute preschool teacher, so it was Bronco who told me that Giant had erupted.  At least Lynn caught the start.  :o)
     Saturday morning was crisp, but dry.  As I drove across the overpass I saw Grand's spikes cutting through the air at 0700 ie.  Lynn told me it started at 0650.  I walked over to the paved path and just took a moment to absorb geyser hill.  Plume 0712, Lion ini 0716 (d=7 m), and Old Faithful at 0725 for at least 4 minutes (making it a long).  I returned to the car to collect my pack, and bike, and headed to Castle.
     It was nice to be away from Worland with all of its farming allergens.  The ducks were quacking on in the pond rather noisily.  I finally noticed a coyote trying to move in closer, but it finally gave up because the ducks just moved to the other side and noisily called to each other.
     I joined Lynn at the overlook next to Castle and actually enjoyed a Major eruption of Castle at 0758 from that vantage.  A breeze was blowing from the East, so we had a nice view of the waters cascading down Castle's Eastern side.  I enjoyed the water tumbling over the rocks and ledges as it sped towards the earth.
     Daisy erupted at 0800 and after Castle had been in steam for a while, Lynn and I navigated the mist and returned to our vehicles.  I decided to check out Fountain and after concluding that Great Fountain wouldn't be until around 1 or 2 PM and Fountain had probably erupted around 7:45 AM, I headed up to Norris to spend an hour with Steamboat.
     My drive from the Paint Pots to Norris took 31 minutes.  I watched Steamboat from 1030 to 1130.  I observed 15 South, 13 Jetting South, 19 Concerted South North (I forgot to break it down to CSJN, CSN, CNSJ, & CNS), and 4 Concerted North South.  Each half hour observation was similar to the other as far as the number of S, JS, CSN, and CNS.  I would say we are close to 50 percent Concerted with many of the minors averaging 2/3 of the height of the trees and I watched at least 10 that were close to, if not at the top of the trees.  I made my observations from the second (lower) viewing area.
     I returned by way of Great Fountain where Lynn had just reduced the visitor's waiting time to a half hour window.  She posted 1:35 to 2:05 PM.  Unfortunately, I wanted to see an entire Grand, so I headed for the Upper Geyser Basin to arrive in time for the opening of Grand's window at 1:05 PM.  Grotto was i.e. when I headed for Grand.  Turban 1311 (no Grand) so I headed to check on Oblong.  There was a pretty steady wind for a while and Oblong wasn't ready yet.  I did notice that "Solstice" was active across the river.  (It wasn't last weekend.)  As I returned to Grand I observed Daisy i.e. at 1325 and watched it for the next 4 minutes.  1333 Turban and still no Grand.  I spent my time noting Turbans, visiting with the tourists, and scanning the area.  I was seated on the benches next to Grand's prediction sign and looking right, through the trees, I noticed a very large geyser on the hill.  "Aargh!  That's not Lion."  "Beehive 1428 i.e."  I hurried to Penta to watch the eruption from there.  It was definitely a new experience to have no gazers watching the hill.  I have never seen Beehive from Grand's benches (without warning).  The breeze had slowed down and Beehive had a very lovely column of water.  I returned to my post.  West Triplet 1435.  (It would have a 40 minute duration.)
     I noticed Riverside's steam puffs at 1458 i.e.  Another Turban at 1518 and 18 minutes later with the pool waving at us, we had Grand.  It was a G2Q.  It wasn't very photogenic, but still it was a two burst on a dry day with moderate temperatures.  Obong chose to start around the time Grand finished.  Oblong i.e. at 1548.  I hurried down and caught some of the eruption.  It ended at 1553.  This wasn't a very big eruption.  Daisy 1602.  I decided to go to check on Fountain.
     I detoured on my way to Fountain for a scenic walk at Midway Geyser Basin at dusk.  It was eerie seeing an empty Opal Pool and I remembered back to a time when I had watched it erupt for two hours with a younger Thomas avidly keeping times on each burst.  I continued on my way to Fountain and arrived at the geyser at 2004.  Yes, it was dark by then, but with the possibility of bad weather arriving that night I wanted to enjoy the starry night with temps. in the 50's.  Jet at 2010 and 2019.  Boom!  Fountain at 2021.  It wasn't a particularly large eruption with the exception of a few bursts, but it was very wide and the people driving past Fountain Flats had a back lit eruption for part of it anyway.  Super Frying Pan finally started at 2044.  Fountain ended at 2049 for a duration of 28 minutes.
     I returned to the UGB to check on Castle which was due.  I saw lights on it at 2115 (?start or near start according to a visitor) and confirmed at 2117 in eruption.  This same visitor told me how they had waited for Daisyearlier that day, which had taken a long time and had finally erupted at ~1:25 PM.  I asked them if there was water in Daisy's pool when they arrived.  They told me that they got there at 11:30 and that the Daisy was pretty empty.  I told them it had probably erupted 45 minutes to a half hour before they had arrived and I would pass that information along to the Visitor Center.  I walked back with these same people and we shared my flashlight since they had been in such a hurry to go wait for Castle that it wasn't until they were there that they realized that they had forgot to bring a flashlight.  I pointed out that in the future it would be a good idea to carry one as the animals like to bed on the warm asphalt.  After one quick scan down the road to check for animals, they headed back to Old Faithful and I headed for my car and then bed.  It had been a good day.
     During the night, I heard the wind cut loose and after 2 AM, I heard the rain start.  I thought it was raining at 7 AM when I poked my head out the door, but the rain was trying to change to snow.  I loaded up and headed for the basin.  Once again, Grand was in eruption as I came over the overpass at 0729.  Lynn couldn't see it from the parking lot, but did see Aurum at 0729.  I told her I had decided to get out before the roads got bad.  She said the Park radio said Craig Pass was slushy and they suggested Snow Tires.  I headed out and at the last minute decided to try the Pass (since I was in the Suburban).  It did very well.  My tires had good traction in the slush which was about 1/2" deep.  Cars had pulled over and some were in the process of turning back, but then they fell in behind me.  I drove cautiously at 35 mph, but the following cars didn't seem to mind and enjoyed the path that I was clearing.  West Thumb to Fishing Bridge was rainy and snowy but the ground was only wet.  Sylvan Pass was better than Craig, although it was muddy due to the construction.  (It wasn't slippery, since the road has a good solid base.)
     Many people passed me (heading for the Park) as I headed toward Cody.  It was dry with overcast skies, so many would be in for a surprise when they got half way up Sylvan.  I arrived home at 1 PM with my youngest son, Kevin, asking me why I was home so early.  This doesn't occur often.  I had to explain about the snow.  Worland was also overcast and did get some rain later that day.
     Here's hoping that next weekend has better weather.  Looking forward to seeing more people on the boardwalks.
                                            Kitt Barger