[Geysers] RE: Dolena Geizerov web site

Kory Collier korycollier at msn.com
Thu Nov 24 20:03:20 PST 2005

from Kory Collier (kory at mstar.net)

Spencer Johnson is a nephew of mine who, like me, doesn't make it to
Yellowstone very often but is an intense gazer when he does.  He speaks
fluent Russian, so I referred him to the Dolena Geizerov web site.  Because
of the size of the site (and because he's a busy college student nearing the
end of a semester), the translations/comments he sent me are mainly from
just the home page, though he did say he might be able to do more
translation/summary in the future if there are parts of the site that
someone is particularly interested in learning more about.  He didn't take
the time to investigate words he didn't know (many of which are probably
technical in nature), but he did Romanize those words [in brackets].  I
appreciated his directions to find the videos of Velikan and Troinoi---those
are definitely a highlight---because I probably wouldn't have found them
otherwise.  Here's what he sent me:

-------------------------------------

Starting from the bold-ish title at the top:

Creation of the center of collective use for the study and monitoring of the
unique natural [obyekta] - the Valley of geysers

Everything you wanted to know:

- Information about the project
   o Fundamental goals and work
   o Participants of the project
- General vision of the Valley of gesers
   o Geographic layout
   o Chronicle of [osvoyeniya] and study
- [rezhim] of the geysers
   o Methodical [osnovi] of registration of the parameters of the [rezhim]
   o ?? Potential registration of communicative lines on the geyser Troinoi
??
(That doesn't make much sense to me - this is referring to that graph you
see if you click on the link - it has that exact same line as the title to
the graph.)
   o Characteristics of the sites of registration
   o Technical characteristics of the [complekt] apparatus
   o Download results of the registration of the parameters of the [rezhim]
- Learning discussion
   o Questions and work discussions
   o Model of the geyser process
     o [Skvazhinnaya] model (following this link is a lot of text that
seemed to explain what makes a geyser erupt - water heating up to
higher-than-boiling temperatures, something about the water going up and
then pressure being released, then it obtains maximum something-or-other,
then goes back down again)
     o [Kamernaya] model (if you follow the link, the drawings pretty much
explain what the text is saying.  This appears to be from something to do
with New Zealand)
     o Model of mixing (seems to be showing what happens when a geyser has
two water sources - one cold and one hot)
- Excursions
   o Giant Geyser (In Russian, Giant is pronounced "velikAN."  This page
describes Giant's activity, including that it goes as high as several tens
of meters.  It also seems to describe what happens to it before and after an
eruption, including that the water level drops about 1.5 meters.  It
mentions the colors - brownish, some getting on to pinkish, and several
yellowish tones, and specifically says that the geyserite is yellowish-gray)
   o Troinoi Geyser (Same kind of stuff as with Giant.  On the map, you can
see Troinoi.  Across the river are "Sugary" and right below it "Neighbor."
Next to the map, the graph's first column is "beginning of eruption," then
"between eruptions," followed by "period of production" and "period of
peace.")

***NOTE: On both the Giant page and the Troinoi page, you can click the link
to the left of the DivX Icon to see videos of the geysers erupting.  I
haven't seen Yellowstone's Giant or Russia's Giant in person, but now at
least I've seen Russia's Giant on video!

- Library
   o Literature on this theme
   o About geysers on the internet
   o About the book by T. I. Ustanovoi "Geysers of Kamchatka" (I think this
book is referenced on the website at least one other time)
- Download (These are the same things you can download on that other link)