[Geysers] Geyser report May 30

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Mon May 30 15:42:01 PDT 2005

My day started with a strange sequence of events at Fountain. Jet and Spasm
were seen active at about 0610. I arrived there at 0655, having seen Morning's
 Thief active while driving across Fountain Flat. On site, I found it active
with  some bursts easily 10 feet high, but Spasm was barely bubbling at a low
below-overflow level, and Jelly was below overflow. Fountain and Morning were
 joined as one large pool. Jet did not erupt during the next 24 minutes. At
0719,  Fountain erupted. About 2 minutes in, Clepsydra stopped and Spasm began
to drain  lower. Jet did not erupt again during the eruption of Fountain, nor
did Super  Frying Pan, nor did Twig. Morning's Thief quit sometime around
Fountain's  15-minute mark. The Fountain itself seemed normal and had a duration
of 30  minutes.

The next Fountain was at 1437, and interval of 7h 18m, duration 25 minutes.
We're pretty certain there was no eruption in between 0719 and 1437, as there
were gazers around on a frequent basis. During this eruption, most of the odd
 stuff of the morning was not seen -- Twig was active, Jet played several
times,  and Super Frying Pan also during Fountain -- except that again Clepsydra
turned  off way early in the eruption and Spasm also shut off and was
substantially  drained by the end of Fountain.

While dealing with the LGB, Great Fountain was at 1343, no superburst. I  had
seen Labial at 0757 on a drive up, and it was called out at 1422, an
interval of 6h 25m. Pink Cone was ie at 1413. Just before that, I saw a full
eruption (both vents) of Gemini, 1413 ie.

Earlier (except for the first Fountain and first Labial) in the UGB, some  of
us missed both beehive (12 minute Indicator) and Grand (, interval 7h 27m,1
burst) due to a combination of waiting for Griant's post-marathon hot period
and  watching out for a rather large grizzly that walked up the river across
from  Giant to Grand, investigated Penta, crossed the river near Castle and
disappeared to the southwest.

The hot period (at 1202) was outstanding, super heavy overflow from  Mastiff
which surged frequently to around 4 feet and etc. etc., but it ended at  10m
15s, no eruption.

Daisy had an interval of 2h 12m.

Castle had had a minor eruption at 2311 last night, then a major this
morning at 0842, minor interval of 9h 31m -- this is becoming rather  frequent.

Those who went up to Norris yesterday said there was basically nothing to
see, except that Cistern was still down about 8 feet and there was a horrible
bison jam both going and returning.

And finally, enroute home today, I saw three wolves in Madison  Meadow.