[Geysers] GMRS radios compatibility

TSBryan at aol.com TSBryan at aol.com
Fri May 27 05:48:27 PDT 2005

In a message dated 5/26/2005 6:52:11 PM Mountain Standard Time,
obrien at rush.aero.org writes:

I  wish I could be more encouraging, but more power doesn't
increase transmit  range as you wish it would.  Ten times
the power only gives you about  three times the range, due to
the inverse square law (details on  request).

Even using the old Motorola 250 at 1/2 watt, I once talked to KC and Steve
when they were out at Imperial and, at the same time, talked to Bill who was at
 Giant. I was at the Flood Overlook. And just yesterday, using the Motorola
6550  at 1 watt, I called out the Daisy time (from Daisy) and was clearly heard
by  Steve and Kitt who were at Silex... The point being that relatively low
power  can do the job... Don't atmospheric conditions (humidity, etc.) have a
lot to do  with this sort of thing?